FBI says Brian Laundrie took responsibility for Gabby Petito’s murder
DENVER — The FBI says it’s close to closing the murder investigation of Gabby Petito after her fiancé claimed responsibility for her death before he died.
“All logical investigative steps have been concluded in this case,” said FBI Denver Division Special Agent in Charge Michael Schneider. “The investigation did not identify any other individuals other than Brian Laundrie directly involved in the tragic death of Gabby Petito.”
Laundrie claimed he killed Petito
The FBI’s Denver office reports Laundrie claimed responsibility for Petito’s murder in writing in the notebook found with his remains in Florida about a month after Petito’s body was found in Wyoming. Laundrie was the only person of interest ever announced in the case.
The FBI began investigating the case in mid-September of 2021 when Petito’s family reported her missing. Her body was found and positively identified 10 days later.
The couple traveled through Utah in a van lifer trip they documented on social media. That includes a traffic stop in Moab, after a passer-by called police to report seeing Laundrie hit Petito.
An updated timeline
A new timeline from the FBI confirmed Laundrie used Petito’s debit card on his way to Florida from Wyoming. They also found Laundrie used Petito’s phone to send messages to himself after her death in an apparent attempt to deceive police.
The Teton County Coroner’s Office subsequently concluded Ms. Petito died of “blunt-force injuries to the head and neck, with manual strangulation.”
Laundrie died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Today’s Top Stories
- Opinion: Feed Utah food drive demonstrates what Utah does best
- Identifying veterans’ suicide risk via social media
- South Salt Lake police investigating suspicious death of an infant
- Church, state lawmaker, at odds over Catholic confessional bill
- Historic office of the Utah Boy Scouts has closed
- One person killed in a single vehicle crash in Logan
- Vernal authorities investigating an auto-pedestrian incident
- Getting the Call to Serve: 7 Easy and Fulfilling Ways to Get Your Future Missionary Prepared…
- Alpine, Davis school districts ramp up support for social and emotional learning
- This Israeli mom is all of us during the COVID-19 outbreak