Jeff Caplan’s Minute of News: Snoop Dog and NFTs
This is an editorial piece. An editorial, like a news article, is based on fact but also shares opinions. The opinions expressed here are solely those of the author and are not associated with our newsroom.
SALT LAKE CITY — The other day in the newsroom we were doing a story about cryptocurrency, and we struggled to explain what it is in a way the uninitiated would understand in 10 seconds.
It’s a secure blockchain techn — wait, what’s a blockchain? So here’s the definition of cryptocurrency I’m comfortable sharing with you:
“Crypto is electric magic money that you can’t see. But young people can.”
There you go.
Now NFT’s. I can’t get there. I think they’re like an electric magic version of Babe Ruth’s rookie baseball card.
But really all you need to know about NFT’s is that Snoop Dog has made more money in the three days after the Super Bowl than you’ll make in a lifetime.
I mean… Snoop!
He shows up in front of 100-million people in a royal blue jumpsuit… he’s doing the crip walk… throwing gang signs. Did you notice? Didn’t think so. Somebody caught a picture of Snoop smoking a joint right before going on stage to open the show.
To Snoop’s credit… I didn’t hear any profanity. There was no wardrobe malfunction. And Snoop’s reward for good behavior? Over the past five days …he’s reportedly sold 44-million dollars worth of NFT’s. Most of it goes straight into his pocket. The NFT is a picture of a stash box which is like a cigar box… but different y’know. It’s emblazed with the letters BODR. Which stands for Bacc on Death Row. That’s the record label he just bought. Death Row Records.
All this proves NFT’s are just like Babe Ruth’s rookie card. If the Babe was rolling a joint and throwing gang signs to the crips.
Listen to Jeff Caplan’s Afternoon News every weekday from 3 to 7 p.m. for more of his “My Minute of News.” And check out the podcast below.
Today’s Top Stories
- Apartment fire displaces dozens in Richfield, community jumps in to help
- FBI gauges threats against educators and school board members
- Brain Body Boost (B3)
- Hatch, Lee react to GOP healthcare postponed vote
- “Freak accident” claims two moose calves near Mountain Dell Golf Course
- The West fears Russia is about to attack Ukraine. But that’s not the way Russians are…
- This Israeli mom is all of us during the COVID-19 outbreak
- BYU using genealogy to reconnect MIA soldiers with families
- Amazon to add 1,500 full/part time jobs in Utah
- Motorcyclist killed in St. George accident