Two suspects in Bangerter Highway murder case arrested
WEST JORDAN, Utah — Two men have been arrested in connection to the murder of Cesar Adan Martinez, whose body was found alongside Bangerter Highway in West Jordan in late February.
Martinez’s body was found near 7800S. on Bangerter Highway on Feb. 26. West Jordan Police reported finding multiple stab wounds in his body. The death was ruled a murder.
According to detectives, police were able to find both suspects after multiple tips from the public. There was also some communication between Martinez and one of the suspects that helped in the search.
The suspects have been identified as 24-year-old Mario Alberto Carreto Morales and 30-year-old Raul Jaimes Cortez, although investigators are trying to find more information about what their names may actually be. For now, they’re being identified as “Suspect One” and “Suspect Two.” Police say one of the suspects admitted being with Martinez and the other suspect on the night of the murder.
West Jordan Police Officer Sam Winkler said, “He did admit that he and the other suspect were with Mr. Martinez on the night he was killed and that the plan was, by Suspect One, to rob Mr. Martinez while they were driving him home.”
However, Winkler says some sort of argument broke out between Martinez and Suspect One, and the suspect took out a knife.
“Suspect number one then stabbed Mr. Martinez several times and ultimately pushed him out of the vehicle,” according to Winkler.
Both of the suspects were arrested Tuesday, and one of them denies taking part in the robbery or the stabbing. However, Winkler says both were booked for homicide since both took part in the cover-up.
“They’re both aware of it and they both attempted to hide the evidence,” Winkler said. “Going to the next level, where you’re taking out a knife and stabbing this person multiple times and pushing him out of the vehicle to die and dying on the side of the road is a step above that. That’s just cruel.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah fourth-grader pushes for eco-friendly lunch room
- Food drive: Help feed Utah’s hungry
- 2020 Watch: On eve of New Hampshire, is Mayor Pete for real?
- Man facing reckless driving charges after incident in Stockton, police say
- Movie Review: Childhood nostalgia with “Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark”
- Australian woman arrested for inciting anti-lockdown protests
- Historic office of the Utah Boy Scouts has closed
- Utah group heads to Arizona with supplies for small Navajo Nation town
- 3 missionaries involved in car accident in Dominican Republic; results in 1 death
- Taking the terror out of nightmares using sound during REM sleep