One dead in early Saturday crash on I-80
TOOELE COUNTY, Utah – One person is dead following a fatal crash Saturday morning. Utah High Patrol says they got a call about 3:36 a.m. Saturday, August 13, 2022 of a crash that involved a Genesis passenger car and a pick-up truck.
UHP Corporal Tara Wahlberg told KSL Newsradio that a Dodge pickup truck was heading eastbound on I-80 one mile east of Lakeside in Tooele County. As of early Saturday afternoon, it was still not known why the pickup veered sharply to the left, then went off the roadway, crossing the median.
The truck wound up in the left lane of westbound traffic and was struck by the car. The driver of the pickup was not wearing a seatbelt and was ejected from the vehicle. and was pronounced dead on the scene.
One occupant from the Genesis was transported to an area hospital by air ambulance, in critical condition.
“Air-med did come out and took the patient to a local hospital,” according to Wahlberg.
An ambulance transported a second occupant with non life threatening injuries.
Westbound lanes were closed for several hours and have since reopened.
This is a developing story and will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- Motorcyclist killed in St. George accident
- Apartment fire displaces dozens in Richfield, community jumps in to help
- FBI gauges threats against educators and school board members
- Brain Body Boost (B3)
- Hatch, Lee react to GOP healthcare postponed vote
- “Freak accident” claims two moose calves near Mountain Dell Golf Course
- The West fears Russia is about to attack Ukraine. But that’s not the way Russians are…
- This Israeli mom is all of us during the COVID-19 outbreak
- Utah lifts gathering restrictions on private property, switches back to “transmission…
- BYU using genealogy to reconnect MIA soldiers with families