Best Friends Animal Society building housing for employees in Kanab
KANAB, Utah — Kanab is getting housing units from an unlikely source — the Best Friends Animal Society. The nonprofit broke ground earlier this week on a new housing project meant for employees.
Best Friends is the largest no-kill shelter in the country. It has its largest location is here in Utah, in the city of Kanab.
Kanab is home to the Best Friends headquarters and sanctuary.
According to the organization, it is the biggest employer in Kane County and over half of its 850 employees work in Kanab.
A growing shelter means more employees, but employees have had trouble finding housing in the small town.
So, Best Friends began a $6 million housing project to provide places for their employees to rent. The housing project is also part of a push to fill the positions the nonprofit still has open.
The project will create 24 units — 12 duplexes — and the first two units are scheduled to be done in early 2023.
Related: Working from home associated with increase in housing prices, study finds
Today’s Top Stories
- Opinion: Feed Utah food drive demonstrates what Utah does best
- Utah is the 10th most active state in the country, according to study
- Two people die in single rollover crash on Skull Valley Road in Tooele
- Utah roads rated fifth best in the nation by new report
- Another COVID-19 case count record set in Utah: 12,990 in a single day
- Church president, NAACP call for “racial harmony” in joint op-ed
- Robert Nelson – West Point Junior High
- KSL 5 is back on DirecTV
- Parents mad, Davis School District investigating after student shows up to school dressed as Hitler
- Uncle of missing five-year-old in Logan charged with murder, remains found