Police identify suspect arrested in connection with weekend SWAT incident
SALT LAKE CITY — On Saturday, Oct. 15, a 29-year-old man was arrested in connection with a shooting that prompted a SWAT team response.
The suspect, identified as Vaioleti Mafi, is in the Salt Lake County Metro Jail on suspicion of numerous felony charges.
Police suspect Mafi of aggravated burglary, aggravated assault, felony discharge of a firearm, possession of a dangerous weapon by a restricted person, domestic violence in the presence of a child and misdemeanor possession or use of a controlled substance.
Initially, officers thought there was at least one other person inside the apartment. But in a press release, detectives confirmed they did not have another suspect involved in this incident.
Police did confirm that Mafi knew the victim/ Police allege Mafi broke into his family’s apartment, got into an altercation with at least one person and then allegedly fired a gun into the unit.
Today’s Top Stories
- Opinion: Feed Utah food drive demonstrates what Utah does best
- Identifying veterans’ suicide risk via social media
- South Salt Lake police investigating suspicious death of an infant
- Church, state lawmaker, at odds over Catholic confessional bill
- Historic office of the Utah Boy Scouts has closed
- One person killed in a single vehicle crash in Logan
- Vernal authorities investigating an auto-pedestrian incident
- Getting the Call to Serve: 7 Easy and Fulfilling Ways to Get Your Future Missionary Prepared…
- Alpine, Davis school districts ramp up support for social and emotional learning
- This Israeli mom is all of us during the COVID-19 outbreak