Four students found dead near campus of University of Idaho
(CNN) — Police are investigating a homicide after four University of Idaho students were found dead Sunday at a home near campus.
Police and the university’s president said that officers responding before noon to a call of an unconscious person discovered the fatalitie.
“It is with deep sadness that I share with you that the university was notified today of the death of four University of Idaho students living off-campus believed to be victims of homicide,” university president Scott Green said in a statement to the campus community.
Police have not released the causes of death or identities of the victims. Police have indicated “there is no ongoing threat,” the university tweeted Sunday without elaborating.
The stunning discovery comes as another US college campus — the University of Virginia in Charlottesville — is reeling as authorities hunt early Monday for a gunman, identified as a UVA student, accused of killing three people and wounding two Sunday on school grounds. A lockdown there remains in place.
University of Idaho classes canceled
At the University of Idaho — where students Sunday afternoon initially were advised to shelter in place amid the homicide probe — in-person and online classes Monday are canceled and set to resume Tuesday.
The deceased students’ families have been notified, and the university is working to assist with the police investigation, Green said. Moscow police said anyone with information about the case should call them.
“We are grateful for the support of the community and the ongoing efforts of the Police Department. The university is committed to supporting students and families during this difficult time,” Green said.
CNN has reached out to the university and to the police department for more details.
™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- One family’s warning about raves after the death of a loved one
- A $1.6 billion jackpot has Utahns crossing state lines for lottery tickets
- Update: 4 dead after plane crash near Box Elder Peak, Tibble Fork Reservoir
- Two people tried to double vote at Salt Lake GOP convention, charges could come
- Rainfall record in Delta shattered, residents prepare for more flooding
- Salt Lake ranks fourth nationally for pickleball but what is it?
- Alta High School and Cottonwood High School will move remote learning due to COVID-19
- Planned execution of Native American man stirs emotion within tribe
- Advocates call for tighter regulations on tanning beds
- Flash flooding, storms, wreak more havoc on southern Utah