3-year-old who died in Taylorsville believed to have shot himself accidentally
TAYLORSVILLE, Utah — Police are investigating a shooting overnight that killed a 3-year-old child at a Taylorsville apartment. In an update Thursday morning, Taylorsville Police said the toddler shot himself.
“A tragic accident, it is believed at this time that the toddler accessed an unsecured firearm,” said the Taylorsville Police Department in a press release about the accident.
According to Sgt. Aaron Cheshire with the TPD, crews were dispatched on reports of a gunshot wound at a residence in the area of 1645 West Thornhill Dr. at around 12:15 a.m.
The call came in from a parent who reported the child had shot themselves. Taylorsville Police’s press release said the parents were in the home at the time of the shooting.
“Officers and medical arrived and medical worked on the child but pronounced the child deceased on the scene,” said Cheshire.
Cheshire stated that the shooting is currently under investigation. TPD also said the parents were cooperating with the investigation.
Today’s Top Stories
- Opinion: Feed Utah food drive demonstrates what Utah does best
- Identifying veterans’ suicide risk via social media
- South Salt Lake police investigating suspicious death of an infant
- Church, state lawmaker, at odds over Catholic confessional bill
- Historic office of the Utah Boy Scouts has closed
- One person killed in a single vehicle crash in Logan
- Vernal authorities investigating an auto-pedestrian incident
- Getting the Call to Serve: 7 Easy and Fulfilling Ways to Get Your Future Missionary Prepared…
- Alpine, Davis school districts ramp up support for social and emotional learning
- This Israeli mom is all of us during the COVID-19 outbreak