Carbon monoxide poisoning on the rise in winter months
SALT LAKE CITY — Winter is approaching and officials want people to know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. Last year, nearly 200 Utahns were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.
The flame in a gas appliance should generally be blue, with some orange. If the flame is mostly yellow, it’s giving off excess carbon monoxide.
Although carbon monoxide is invisible and odorless, symptoms include headaches, dizziness, shortness of breath, confusion and loss of consciousness.
Utah Poison Control said it’s important to have your furnace, water heater and gas-powered appliances inspected each year.
In the winter days, many practice the habit of starting their car early to make it warm for when we are ready to depart. Never do this in a garage.
Finally, poison control said to always trust your carbon monoxide alarm, and if alerted, immediately leave.
Today’s Top Stories
- Two workers from Wasatch Electric electrocuted while working in West Valley City
- UVU students win international cybersecurity competition
- Despite pandemic, no renter should struggle to pay the landlord
- CenterPoint Legacy Theatre Academy
- 1 in 3 Americans planning summer road trip, many eyeing National Parks
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces first ever African-American General Authority
- Utah one of the leading states for low levels of drunk driving
- USU President Noelle E. Cockett will step down
- Utah Valley University awarded three Independent Publisher Book Awards
- Viewmont High School on two hour delay after police shooting on school grounds