SALT LAKE COUNTY – Two dozen people are indicted in what investigators are calling a large and complicated methamphetamine distribution ring.
Agents from the FBI and the DEA were able to seize 41 pounds of Mexican meth that came into the state, along with 17 firearms after investigations that lasted several months. U.S. Attorney for Utah, John Huber, says a lot of meth seized in Utah is meant for other parts of the country, but these shipments were different.
Huber says, “These pounds and pounds of drugs were destined for right out the window, here.”
Brian Besser with the DEA says their agency was tracking one suspected drug dealer, while the FBI was tracking another. Soon, investigators learned both suspected dealers were being supplied by the same source.
Besser says, “Throughout its tenure, this organization has generated hundreds of thousands of dollars in drug related proceed.”
Investigators believe the main supplier is Raul Enrique Lizarraga Lopez, aka Maestro, out of Los Angeles. The other 23 people indicted are from Salt Lake County.
Besser says this indictment could have a big impact on violent crime in the county. He says meth, in some ways, is a scarier drug than opioids like heroin.
“The opioid epidemic is very important, but, it has overshadowed the import of this. This drug is so volatile, so powerful, that taking this off the streets has done Utah a great service,” Besser says.
Today’s Top Stories
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- Pandemic pause ends in Susan Powell parents lawsuit trial
- Utah drivers licenses one step closer to going digital
- Passengers stuck on Amtrak train for about 20 hours finally on their way
- U. Hospital’s Bridge Program gives opioid addicts more treatment options
- Church spends nearly $1 billion in humanitarian, welfare aid, leaders say
- Green Party selects Howie Hawkins as 2020 presidential nominee
- Boxer Rocky Lockridge, “Best Cry Ever” meme man, has died at the age of 60
- Diet soda doesn’t have to lead to weight loss, court rules
- No sign of missing woman who was kidnapped in Kearns 1 week ago