SALT LAKE CITY — Frustration in hospitals across the nation as a drug shortage forces doctors to make due without baking soda.
Erin Fox, the director of drug information at the University of Utah, says baking soda, or sodium bicarbonate, is used in a lot of common treatments but it’s most essential in treating some drug overdoses and helping quell the effects of high-dose chemotherapy.
So, the obvious question, why not just stock up from the nearest grocery store?
“Most drug shortages are caused by quality or manufacturing problems at the factory.” Fox explained.
She says factories have to go through a delicate process to make sure the drug is sanitary and safe enough to be injected straight into patients veins. Grocery store baking soda doesn’t make the cut. The story is sometimes also true for the medical factories, leading to the shortages hitting hospitals nationwide right now.
While it is common to see shortages in simple drugs like baking soda or saline, Fox says they never have the problem with more expensive drugs.
“Those companies have just one dedicated line for that product,” Fox explained,
“and they almost always have a back up plan.”
She says they’re trying to figure out how to encourage all drug manufacturers to make the same precautions, but for now they just have to cope until the factories can catch up.
Learn more in the audio story below:
Today’s Top Stories
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- Friends and climbers mourn a Utah man who died on Mt. Everest
- Officer Dallas Smith & Officer Cory Lewis, Spanish Fork Police Department
- 2 charged with killing woman in southwest Nebraska
- Federal charges filed against many white supremacist gang members and associates in Utah
- Model cries ‘tears of joy’ as agent associated with Jeffrey Epstien arrested
- Jerry Silva, South Salt Lake Police Department
- New KSL documentary goes behind the scenes of the COLD podcast
- Angela Kirk – Noah Webster Academy
- The first ever YouTube video was uploaded 15 years ago today. Here it is