WEST VALLEY — A teen’s quick thinking kept a small kitchen fire from decimating a house last week.
Late Friday night, 13-year-old Mackenzie Wright says she woke up to the smell of smoke.
“I couldn’t breathe at first then I thought it was a dream so I went back to bed,” Wright said. “Then I woke up again and I realized this isn’t a dream.”
She woke up her mother and the pair ran to the kitchen, finding a pan of rice in flames.
“The pan was just on fire. I turned on the water and she grabbed the pan and put it in there,” Wright said.
It turns out a roommate fell alseep while making dinner. The flames produced so much smoke Wright’s family says surveillance cameras outside the home caught video of the vapor pouring out of the home’s windows. No one was hurt, but Wright joked in the future it would safer if their family’s exhausted cooks just order take out.
Today’s Top Stories
- Storm clean up efforts from wind damage is bringing communities together
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Bill would create firearm safety pilot program in Utah schools
- One dead, five hurt in head-on crash at Bonneville Salt Flats
- Knolls Fire Update: Evacuation order lifted but still possible, only 25% contained
- Provo High School football game moves back home, frustrating educators
- Utah a good home for autonomous drone development, military one reason
- Evacuations force California man to cancel SLC trip
- Tulsi Gabbard files lawsuit against Hillary Clinton for defamation
- Boris Johnson promises UK will provide Hong Kongers path to citizenship after national…