SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota — A polygamist leader on the run is now behind bars in South Dakota. The FBI in Salt Lake City confirms to KSL Newsradio that Lyle Steed Jeffs was found Wednesday.
He was booked into the Minnehaha County jail at 11:43 PM Wednesday night and is being held without bail on a US Marshall hold.
The FBI Salt Lake City says more information will be released in a news conference later today about how and where he was taken in to custody.
Jeffs has been on the run for almost a year. He was briefly jailed in 2016 in connection with a food stamp fraud case out of Hildale Utah then given home confinement. The FBI says he used olive oil to slip out of a GPS monitoring device and escape.
Today’s Top Stories
- KSL Greenhouse Show continues Dig Around Town Community Calendar
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will close Missionary Training Center in Guatemala
- West Kearns Elem. placed in shelter in place protocol Tuesday for around an hour, no threat…
- Three things you need to do before you can run a marathon
- Utah Democrats: Board of Education’s Natalie Cline should be held accountable
- US says its airlines can resume limited flights to China
- Can a flag be too big? A North Carolina city is suing RV dealer over large American Flag
- Man dies after hit by car; driver booked for fleeing scene
- Hundreds of restaurant customers possibly exposed to Hep A virus
- Crocodiles and alligators were once vegetarians, Utah researchers say