FARMINGTON — A 23-year-old man is dead after drowning in a pond.
The Davis County Sheriff’s office says he was with a group swinging on a rope swing around 9:30 Tuesday night.
They say he entered the water, struggled, then didn’t resurface. The group tried to help him, but couldn’t get him out of the water.
Authorities say the water is extremely cold and it may have contributed to his death.
“That’s what is so deceiving about these ponds right now – the top can be warm, and you go down just a little ways and you’re back into that liquid ice again. And it’s shocking to the system,” said Davis County Sheriff Todd Richardson.
Dive teams from Salt Lake City and Davis County recovered his body just before midnight.
Today’s Top Stories
- Officer Tanya Turnbow, Tooele City Police Department
- Trouble with Teams? Microsoft reports problems with “multiple 365 services.”
- The story of Sgt. Cade Brenchley, hit by a car in line of duty
- Utah hospitals could receive COVID-19 vaccines in less than two weeks
- Bad crash in Lehi during Thursday rush hour leaves one child critical
- Throngs to pack Times Square for mild, rainy New Year’s Eve
- Utah tourism unemployment at an all time high according to new report
- Is it time to scrap straight-ticket voting in Utah?
- Davis County updates first cases of COVID-19 at correctional facility
- Mitchell powers Jazz to 128-124 win over Wizards