FARMINGTON — A 23-year-old man is dead after drowning in a pond.
The Davis County Sheriff’s office says he was with a group swinging on a rope swing around 9:30 Tuesday night.
They say he entered the water, struggled, then didn’t resurface. The group tried to help him, but couldn’t get him out of the water.
Authorities say the water is extremely cold and it may have contributed to his death.
“That’s what is so deceiving about these ponds right now – the top can be warm, and you go down just a little ways and you’re back into that liquid ice again. And it’s shocking to the system,” said Davis County Sheriff Todd Richardson.
Dive teams from Salt Lake City and Davis County recovered his body just before midnight.
Today’s Top Stories
- Candidate Conversation: Eric Eliason for 1st District, Congress
- Family releases statement after woman murdered on Tinder date
- Gateway Mall owners say crime is down 79%
- Corvette goes mid-engine for first time to raise performance
- Simple credit card rewards can pay off if you just do a little work
- Thousands pay final respects to fallen firefighter
- A tiger went on an 800-mile odyssey in search of food, a mate, and a place to call home
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- San Francisco moves closer to nation’s 1st e-cigarette ban
- Three people gored as running of the bulls ends in Pamplona