WENDOVER — One man died, five other people were hurt when a van and a pick-up truck collided on the Bonneville Salt Flats. It happened during the Bonneville Speedway’s annual Speed Week, but did not involve cars that were racing.
Race Manager Pat McDowell said it happened at about 8:30 Wednesday morning in an area between the gate and the pits. It was east of an area that had been coned off for a roadway leading to the exit. McDowell said there were no witnesses, but that emergency crews on stand-by for the races responded to help.
The victims were part of support teams for some of the racers. “Shook me up. It probably shook everyone here up,” said McDowell. “Just a horrific thing to happen.”
The Tooele County Sheriff’s office is investigating, but deputies say it appears one vehicle veered, for some reason, in front of the other.
There are few road markings in the area and the posted speed limit if 55mph.
Today’s Top Stories
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Rebecca Mikkelsen – Washington Terrace Elementary
- Wasatch Adaptive Sports
- 3 sexual assaults in 1 night reported at Utah State University
- Zion National Park and other Utah national parks begin re-opening
- Chris Evans sending ‘Captain America’ shield to little boy who saved sister from…
- A dancing cockatoo named Snowball learned 14 moves all by himself
- Graduates show Salt Lake City students to stay in school
- Fire-ravaged forests get help from pine cone collectors
- POLICE FOOTAGE Lori Vallow’s ex-husband worried about their missing children and his…