SALT LAKE COUNTY – The video showing the detaining of nurse Alex Wubbels after she refused to do a blood draw on an unconscious patient made international headlines. Now, the Salt Lake County District Attorney is asking the FBI to look into it.
After watching the body cam video, Sim Gill thought there may have been some civil rights violations committed by Detective Jeff Payne. However, civil rights laws are not normally handled by the DA’s office. “But, that falls squarely within the realm of our federal partners,” Gill says.
So, he sent a letter to the FBI, asking that agency to determine if Wubbels civil rights were violated. Gill says it could fall under federal “color of law” regulations. He adds, “For example, if you arrest somebody and you don’t have probable cause, or you deny somebody’s civil rights in the execution of your official capacity, then there are [possible] violations of the constitution.”
In the meantime, he still has an investigation of his own to see if any state laws were broken. However, this could take time since there was no criminal investigation when the arrest happened. “There are multiple law enforcement officers in that video. There are other external agencies that are involved to the issue in that video,” Gill says. Unified Police are spearheading the investigation.
Even though the video clearly shows what happened, Gill says he needs more than that if he wants to make any kind of an argument in court. “I have to actually gather the evidence in a way that is precise and presentable,” he says.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah drivers licenses one step closer to going digital
- Pandemic pause ends in Susan Powell parents lawsuit trial
- All Utah 24 Hour Fitness locations to close, customers transferred to VASA
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- 4 tips for getting a COVID-19 vaccine appointment booked sooner in Utah
- Silver Island: a desert escape well worth a visit
- Special delivery: Over 500,000 protective face masks transported to Salt Lake International Airport
- Video of accusations at a fast and testimony meeting sparks response
- What it was like hunting memes outside Area 51
- Police make sixth arrest in the kidnapping and murder of Kearns woman