SALT LAKE CITY – One man is dead and two officers were taken to a hospital with non life-threatening injuries after an officer-involved shooting.
Police were responding to calls of a trespasser in downtown Salt Lake City. This eventually led to a fight with the suspect before shots were fired which left the man dead at a Maverik gas station on the corner about 300 South and 500 East.
“It’s a popular area, lots of people around,” Salt Lake City police detective Robert Ungricht says. “So there are numerous witnesses that are here that our investigators from West Valley will be talking with.”
Witnesses at the scene say they heard 8 or 9 shots fired in rapid succession, but detectives are still trying to gather more information. The West Valley Police Department will handle the investigation.
Police did not say which business made the call before the shooting.
Today’s Top Stories
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- Will Pettit – Granite Park Junior High
- Officer Tanya Turnbow, Tooele City Police Department
- The 90 minutes that cost Principal Ford White his job
- Much loved St. George runner dies after 10-year fight with cancer
- Nonprofit projects pay increase for Utah workers in 2021
- Lay Kou- Southland Elementary
- Hey, sports fans: Joey Chestnut and Miki Sudo crush the hot dog contest — again
- Fears of ‘Wild West’ as COVID-19 blood tests hit the market
- 100-year-old ‘Candy Bomber’ tests positive for COVID-19