Maria loves her job because she learns something new every day and is able to share that information with others. Born and raised in Utah, Maria graduated from Olympus High School and received her Bachelor of Arts and Master of Science degrees in Journalism and Mass Communications from the University of Utah.
As a longtime news host and reporter at KSL, Maria and has been recognized many times by the Utah Broadcasters Association and the Society of Professional Journalists for both her anchoring and reporting abilities. She has also received a number of regional Edward R. Murrow Awards including the 2017 Murrow award for Best Newscast for her role as host of Utah’s Noon News.
Maria is the host of Utah’s Noon News, Healthy Mind Matters and the Let’s Get Moving with Maria Podcast.
Outside of the station, Maria has spent many hours teaching martial arts at her neighborhood elementary school. She is a 2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do and says, “It’s rewarding to see my students gain confidence and success.” Maria is also a Sunday School Teacher and the Emergency Preparedness Team Captain in her neighborhood. Gardening is also one of Maria’s passions. She says not only is gardening a rewarding form of artistic expression; it’s also wonderful therapy.
Maria met her husband Bob Nelson while working as a student at KUER at the University of Utah. Bob is a reporter and Afternoon Drive Anchor at KUER. They are the proud parents of two boys, Jonathon and Gregory.
To contact Maria, email email@example.com.
Facebook: Let’s Get Moving with Maria
Today’s Top Stories
- More pickleball courts (and more players) coming to South Jordan
- Pack your bags! Extended stays at Bear Lake await you
- Amazon announces new fulfillment center, 800 jobs in West Jordan
- Utah’s new free mask program sees high demand and wait times
- Meline Hansen – Midas Creek Elementary
- Utah homeschooling is on the rise. What does that say about education in Utah?
- Child porn investigation leads to meth discovery, closure of Sandy daycare
- Salt Lake ranks fourth nationally for pickleball but what is it?
- Herriman Mayor, amidst calls for his resignation, apologizes for misuse of city funds
- Argentine soccer great Diego Maradona dies at 60