Brad Tingey is a Drivers Ed teacher at Herriman High School and is in his 25th year of teaching. There are several things that separate Coach Tingey from the rest of the teaching staff here at Herriman. First of all, while he is a coach, he does not fit into the category of a coach that teaches. He takes seriously his role as a teacher and does a fantastic job. Because Drivers Ed is a sophomore level class, throughout the year he teaches nearly every single sophomore in the building (almost 1,000 students this year). Nearly every single year, at the end of the year awards assembly, Coach Tingey wins the Sophomore Teacher of the Year as voted by the students.
He uses humor to keep all of the students engaged, is very organized, and is very dependable as well. One thing I really appreciate about Coach Tingey is that when he says that he will do something, you can count on it being done and done right. There are many times throughout the year that someone on staff needs help and he will make sure that their need gets covered. I even heard of a teacher that was going through a rough time (unconfirmed story but fits what I know about him) and he got a very large gift card and put it in her mailbox anonymously.
The last thing I will say about Coach Tingey is that he truly despises the spotlight. He does not coach to bring himself glory or do nice things because of any attention it might bring. In fact, he usually goes out of his way to do things undetected. When his team loses, he himself takes all the blame but when they win, he lauds the boys for doing what was needed to get the victory.
I think Coach Tingey would be a fantastic choice for Teacher Feature.
Today’s Top Stories
- Gas station clerk tells her Susan Powell story for the first time publicly
- Grandson arrested on suspicion of murder in SLC house fire
- 2 men charged in ’02 killing of Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay
- Romney is president of a secret society in Washington
- Fraud Alerts! 3 Ways Bad Guys are Trying to Get Access to Your Information and How You Can…
- Suspect in shooting no stranger to protests, violence
- Cindy Smith, Hayden Peak Elementary
- Golden Spoke Event
- Utah man charged, accused of threatening people displaying a Trump flag
- Want to buy a dinosaur? One of the world’s biggest T. rex skeletons is up for sale