I would like to nominate a science teacher from Fairfield Jr. High for the Teacher Feature. He has taught at Fairfield since the school opened 16 years ago. His efforts in the classroom and the countless hours after school has had a profound impact in students’ lives.
He has worked with implementing a Science program that has excelled since its beginning. Mr. Erickson has led the school’s Science Olympiad team to state championship for the last 15 years. The year before that, the first year the school was involved, they took second place. Because of taking first place at state competition, he has led the team to the national competition to compete with the best science students from all over the country, for 15 years straight. Just this year, the Science Olympiad team has recently returned from the national competition to come home with medals in 4 of the 24 events. This competition is with the best science minds in our countries schools! What an accomplishment to do this for 15 years straight.
This program has made a profound difference in the lives of the students involved. First, they have learned that science is fun. Second, they see that science can help us in everyday life. Next, they have the opportunity to develop strong friendships with students who have similar interests. Finally, these students have had the chance to work as a team and develop communication and social skills. What Mr. Erickson has done for these students will never be forgotten.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah driver licenses will soon get a “gold star”
- Where are fires burning across the western US? An interactive map
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- The 5 Best Food and Board Game Pairings
- Marc Miller & Seth Peterson, Probation Officers
- UHP trooper offers in-depth look at life as a black police officer
- Nichole Warren-Doman – Orion Junior High
- Dropping mask mandate in April is too soon, county mayor says
- Smith’s responds to complaints about ban on Visa Credit Cards
- Open Doors