Greetings KSL Newsradio and Zions Bank!
It is with great pleasure that I take this opportunity to nominate Lois Mortensen of Bluffdale Elementary for the Teacher Feature award.
Lois is a veteran teacher of over 24 years, but new to our Bluffdale Elementary school. I’ll never forget seeing her step out of the school on the first day of class to greet her new students lined up at the door. Those second graders mouths were hanging open as she sang, “How do you do? Welcome!” and shook each of their hands down the line. I thought, “We are in for a grand year” and she has not disappointed.
Her classroom is a beehive of happy work and learning. A resident weather station, and plant growing observation area provide hands on experiences. Phrases from different languages, sign language, and abundant music are incorporated into lessons. The children often sing while they work. Yesterday my son came in the house singing (to the tune of “The Ants Go Marching…”)
“Arachnids have two body parts, harrah! Harrah!” He’ll never forget the parts of a spider as long as he lives!
The most remarkable parts of Lois Mortensen’s classroom are not to be seen with the eye or heard with the ear: That knowledge is fun! That learning is exciting and brings joy! That the world is a beautiful, fascinating place! That respect and kindness are part of our learning on this planet. No classroom stations or prescribed methods can teach these intangibles. They are imparted by the soul of a teacher who loves her students with unrivaled passion, and sees the goodness and potential of each individual child. This classroom, full or positive energy and extremely high expectations, is what every parent dreams that their child’s education can be.
I ask you to award Lois Mortensen this honor, in recognition of her tremendous impact on the hundreds of students she has mentored throughout her career.
Emily M. Jones
Today’s Top Stories
- KSL Greenhouse Show continues Dig Around Town Community Calendar
- West Kearns Elem. placed in shelter in place protocol Tuesday for around an hour, no threat…
- Three things you need to do before you can run a marathon
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will close Missionary Training Center in Guatemala
- Can a flag be too big? A North Carolina city is suing RV dealer over large American Flag
- Utah Democrats: Board of Education’s Natalie Cline should be held accountable
- Man dies after hit by car; driver booked for fleeing scene
- Utah National Guard supports fallen mayor’s daughter at debate
- Purge The Spurge: Utah County Offers To Exchange Invasive Poisonous Plant For Native Plant…
- Crocodiles and alligators were once vegetarians, Utah researchers say