Several weeks ago my granddaughter Erica got engaged. After family, the first person she showed her ring to was her sixth grade teacher Susan Fuller.
When Erica was in her class, she was also in resource for some extra help, especially math. At the end of the school year Erica received the Presidential Award for most improved 6th grade student. In high school she maintained a 3.5 average.
Erica will be a junior at the University of Utah next fall. The example of Mrs. Susan Fuller has been the reason for her majoring in elementary education. Whenever she needs to have a mentor or observe a classroom it is Mrs. Fuller she chooses to observe.
As a volunteer for fourteen years at Upland Terrace, I have observed Susan Fuller. One of her greatest attributes is she prepares students to move out of the self contained classroom to junior high school. Her Shakespeare Festival is commendable and I am especially impressed with her “University of Learning” program. Students at the beginning of the year decide on the degree they want to work toward – Bachelors to Doctorate. At the end of school they are awarded their degree according to the completion of the degree they chose. She teaches study skills and creates a love of learning as well as a safe environment that brings out the best in her students.
On every occasion when she talks to me she asks about my grandchildren. Many teachers don’t even remember students once they leave their classroom.
I thought teaching high school for 36 years was hard. No one works harder than the elementary teacher – especially Susan Fuller.
Thank you for considering her nomination.
Ilene S. Gorzitze
Today’s Top Stories
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- 4 tips for getting a COVID-19 vaccine appointment booked sooner in Utah
- Special delivery: Over 500,000 protective face masks transported to Salt Lake International Airport
- Pandemic pause ends in Susan Powell parents lawsuit trial
- Silver Island: a desert escape well worth a visit
- Utah drivers licenses one step closer to going digital
- Video of accusations at a fast and testimony meeting sparks response
- Giovanni Pangan, Philippines mission president, dies of heart attack
- Passengers stuck on Amtrak train for about 20 hours finally on their way
- Hey, Utahns over 70: Here’s everything to know about getting your COVID-19 vaccine