Who is sometimes called the father of the Constitution?
James Madison and the 56 other delegates to the Constitutional Convention initially intended to amend the Articles of Confederation. Instead, they decided to create a new Constitution. Madison, representing Virginia, became chief recorder. He helped develop Virginia's constitution more than a decade before, and his "Virginia Plan" figured prominently in the debates that led to the final US Constitution as signed.
How many amendments have been repealed?
Just 1! The only amendment so far to be repealed is the 18th Amendment. It banned the production, importation, transportation and sale of alcoholic beverages nationwide. It was repealed in 1933, about thirteen years after it was enacted, by the ratification of the 21st Amendment.
In what year was the Constitution signed?
Delegates to the Constitutional Convention met secretly throughout the summer of 1787, then signed their finalized document, which we know today as the US Constitution, on Sept. 17, 1787.
Which two Founding Fathers and future presidents did NOT sign the Constitution?
Neither John Adams nor Thomas Jefferson were present at the Constitutional Convention, even though both played a huge role in the founding of our nation. Adams was serving as ambassador to England, and Jefferson was serving as ambassador to France. Therefore, neither were in the United States at the time the Constitution was signed.
Where is the Constitution housed?
The State Department was home to the Constitution starting in 1789 until it moved to the Library of Congress in 1921. However, it has been housed at the National Archives since 1954.
Share your Results:
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah County Commissioner wants Utah open for business
- Bodies of missing girls found in Utah Lake
- West Kearns Elem. placed in shelter in place protocol Tuesday for around an hour, no threat…
- Police say West Valley City man planned mass shooting during SLC protest
- Actress sues actor Tom Sizemore, claiming sex abuse on set
- Sergeant Brian Taylor, Provo Police Department
- Sports stars J.J. Watt and Kealia Ohai were married Saturday
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces first ever African-American General Authority
- Where are fires burning across the western US? An interactive map
- “Super lice” cases rise 30 percent nationwide