LAYTON – Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Layton had no idea their church was planning to build a new temple for them in their city.
Jennifer Bailey is thrilled.
“Just having a temple within 10 or 15 minutes of us makes us feel like we’re spoiled,” she said.
Rebecca Wilhelmsen feels the same way.
“I think it’s very exciting,” she said. “I think it’s a surprise since we have another temple that’s not too far away.”
Wilhelmsen referred to the LDS temples in Ogden and Bountiful. But these members welcome the future Layton Temple.
Mayor Bob Stevenson hopes it will bring more people to his city, and more planes from Hill Air Force Base.
“I was just thinking about how cool it will be for those F-35 pilots to be taking off from that base, and coming back and landing, and seeing that glow of that temple,” he said.
Stevenson kept quiet for a week. A church official approached him with the news.
After the church’s public announcement, he got 70 texts in seven minutes expressing excitement.
Stevenson says the Layton temple will match the large sizes of Ogden’s and Jordan River’s temples.
The LDS Church has not announced an exact location or timeframe for the new Layton temple.
Today’s Top Stories
- Police: Couple arrested for marijuana-themed event
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27
- Update: Police identify man in Echo nightclub shooting
- Barry Pewtress – Spectrum Academy High School
- Salt Lake City School District gears up for the year to start online
- 5 tips to stop touching your face
- Death of Steve Powell removes a lingering hope in Susan Powell case
- Excelsior Academy first-graders moved to online school
- CNN and ‘Sesame Street’ to host a town hall addressing racism
- Find a Way Out! 3 Ways You Can Stay Safe During a Mass Shooting Situation Anywhere You Are