SALT LAKE CITY – A West High School student is taken into custody by police after he was caught with a gun on campus. Educators say even if the student didn’t intend to hurt anyone, it caused quite a scare among faculty members.
Administrators found out about the nine-millimeter handgun shortly after the beginning of the school day. One student learned that a teenage boy had it on him.
“That student alerted a teacher who then alerted the school resource officers and the school administration,” according to Salt Lake City School District Spokesperson Yandary Chatwin.
Fortunately, none of the students were being targeted and the school wasn’t under any kind of threat.
“When he was taken into custody, the weapon was not loaded but he did have ammunition on his person,” says Chatwin, adding, “The student indicated he was holding the weapon for someone else.”
The ninth-grader wouldn’t say who he was carrying the weapon for.
She says this particular case was resolved because a student felt comfortable opening up to a teacher about what they saw. However, there are other students that wouldn’t have spoken to faculty members.
“In situations where a student might not feel comfortable sharing information like that with a teacher or a principal, there are resources like the Safe UT app.”
Today’s Top Stories
- KSL Greenhouse Show continues Dig Around Town Community Calendar
- West Kearns Elem. placed in shelter in place protocol Tuesday for around an hour, no threat…
- Three things you need to do before you can run a marathon
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints will close Missionary Training Center in Guatemala
- Can a flag be too big? A North Carolina city is suing RV dealer over large American Flag
- Man dies after hit by car; driver booked for fleeing scene
- Utah National Guard supports fallen mayor’s daughter at debate
- COLD season 2 announced: Justice for Joyce Yost
- Purge The Spurge: Utah County Offers To Exchange Invasive Poisonous Plant For Native Plant…
- US says its airlines can resume limited flights to China