Share this story...
bangerter officer roy truck crash accident fight murder-suicide murder dui drunk driving alcohol riverton south jordan police death body idaho state avenues vehicle park city high school evacuation motorcyclist irrigation pipe
Latest News

Shooting in Layton ends with Idaho death

LAYTON — A man shot in Layton has died after being driven to a hospital in Idaho, and police now say his friends drove him there at his own request.

Layton police say the 26-year-old man was shot in Utah, but they got a call from Preston, Idaho police yesterday saying that the man’s two friends had apparently driven him all the way to the Franklin County Medical Center, where he died overnight. The death is being investigated as a homicide.

Layton police Lieutenant Travis Lyman says the man’s friends told Preston police the man had been shot at Lakeview Estates mobile home park. Police were able to confirm that the shooting did happen there, but Lyman says they didn’t get any calls for service or anyone who heard shots. They were conducting a search warrant at the mobile home on Friday.

As of Friday, three people had been arrested in the investigation, but not for the shooting itself. Police say they continue to search for the possible shooters.

Layton police said drugs or money may have been the motive behind the shooting. They think the victim may have asked to be taken out of state for treatment in an attempt to cover up a possible drug distribution operation at the mobile home.

Police arrested Kevin Wesner Content, 25, Devon Miller, 22, and Douglas Michael Cordova, 30, on an assortment of charges that appear to be related to the possible drug operation rather than the shooting. All were booked into the Davis County jail.

A jail report states that Miller claimed the drugs found at the home were specific to his religious beliefs as a member of the Oklevueha Native American Church. Police say the amount of drugs and paraphernalia found contradicts that argument.

The Davis Metro Narcotics Strike Force was assisting with the investigation. The name of the man who died has not yet been released.