OREM — Police say a suspected intruder who was shot and wounded by an Orem homeowner has died at the hospital.
Officers say the homeowner found the stranger in the garage of his house near 400 North and 800 West in Orem.
Police say the homeowner fired several shots. The person who was shot, who was identified as a 49-year-old man, was taken to the hospital in critical condition, where he later died.
The suspect from the incident this morning has passed away. We are still in the process of notifying his family.
— Orem Police Dept. (@OremDPS) October 15, 2018
A large area around the home remained blocked off by caution tape hours after it happened.
Police say a man heard someone in his garage around 7 AM, and he went back inside and grabbed a small caliber handgun.
“There was a confrontation and a scuffle, and the homeowner shot the suspect several times in the abdomen,” said Orem Police Lt Craig Martinez.
Officers say a family with kids was in the home at the time.
“I know people will have questions about charges or no charges, but it is too early to comment on that,” said Martinez. “We are just barely starting our investigation.”
Officers are now looking at what he was doing in the garage, and if he had been in other garages or homes on the street.
Today’s Top Stories
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Another 4.4 million Americans filed for unemployment benefits last week
- Tooele County Health Department
- Investigators make major drug busts on I-80 in Utah
- ‘Modern Family’ actor Ty Burrell teams up with Salt Lake City to help laid-off…
- Utah lawmakers approve bill aimed at regulating ‘troubled teen’ centers
- The mystery of the Utah monolith found in the desert
- Gunman who killed U. student tried to kidnap witness, police say
- What Are You Getting Your Neighbors and Friends for the Holidays? Mason Jar Gifts Might Just…
- 3 sexual assaults in 1 night reported at Utah State University