MURRAY — People rushed to the aid of the victims in the Fashion Place Mall shooting as soon as they were hit. One man made a makeshift tourniquet with his belt while others rendered first aid until the ambulances arrived.
Matthew Thomas ran away when he heard the shots Sunday, but quickly returned and saw a man and woman lying outside the Dillard’s. He held their hands and kept talking to them to keep them conscious.
Thomas says he’s not a hero and was only doing what he would want someone to do for him in a similar situation.
Police say Sunday’s shooting started with an argument between rival gangs inside before the victims were struck outside the department store.
Today’s Top Stories
- Salt Lake City Moving To New Neighborhood Clean Up Program
- Alaska moose poacher fined $100,000, sentenced to jail
- ERA Utah supporters hold rally at the State Capitol building
- How to care for Poinsettias
- Bountiful police release video of pawn shop shooting
- Hill AFB airman to face charges related to burned police car
- Son of infamous polygamist leader, Warren Jeffs, is dead
- BYU and UVU issue statement, advise two-week deadline to improve numbers
- Heart of Utah: Storytelling festival helps young performers find their voices
- Legal expert says insanity defense not likely for Grantsville teen