WELLINGTON — Police say a tractor-trailer going too fast for the slick conditions crashed into a restaurant, flattening it in the process.
Los Jilbertos is located on a curve along U.S. 6, as the road carves through Wellington, south of Price.
At least three people suffered injuries in the crash, the Utah Highway Patrol said.
Troopers say the restaurant was open at the time as the truck left U.S. 6 and struck the restaurant. By the time they arrived, UHP says the restaurant’s owner was standing outside. According to the Associated Press, troopers helped the Wellington Fire Department rescue that man’s wife, who was trapped under the collapsed building.
The crash also knocked out electricity and gas service to parts of the town of Wellington.
Police said the truck driver suffered minor injuries. The fire department says a man and a woman who were hurt inside the restaurant suffered serious injuries.
They were asking Carbon County residents not to come by the scene as it was still active and under investigation.
Today’s Top Stories
- Special delivery: Over 500,000 protective face masks transported to Salt Lake International Airport
- Pandemic pause ends in Susan Powell parents lawsuit trial
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- All Utah 24 Hour Fitness locations to close, customers transferred to VASA
- Silver Island: a desert escape well worth a visit
- 100-year-old ‘Candy Bomber’ tests positive for COVID-19
- 4 tips for getting a COVID-19 vaccine appointment booked sooner in Utah
- Utah drivers licenses one step closer to going digital
- FBI Confidential: Human trafficking may be happening in your local park
- Bill Nye sets the world on fire — to make a point about climate change