SALT LAKE CITY — Friends and family of 40-year-old David Stokoe will gather Monday evening to mourn Stokoe’s death in a recent homicide.
According to Salt Lake City police, Stokoe, a real estate agent, may have been fatally shot while trying to evict tenants from apartment over a rent dispute. They say Stokoe’s body was found Friday in a hidden area of the apartment he owned and his car was found the next day in West Valley City.
“This situation is tragic beyond words,” the Stokoe family wrote in an emailed statement to KSL. “Our hearts are broken over the loss of Dave.”
Police have arrested Manuel Velasquez on suspicion of murder and other felony charges. Velasquez’s acquaintances Diana Hernandez and Jessica Miller were also arrested for obstruction of justice.
A candlelight vigil will be held at 5:30 P.M. Monday at 9272 S 700 E in Sandy.
“We are remembering Dave the way he deserves to be remembered, as a hero and champion,” the Stokoe family wrote. “We know we will see him again someday, and that families are forever. We are choosing to focus on the love we feel from everyone, and the love we feel for Dave, rather than resentment surrounding the circumstances of his death.”
A GoFundMe account has been set up to support Stokoe’s wife, Nikki Stokoe, and their four children. You can donate here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- New dress guidelines announced for male missionaries — in some areas
- Utah Utes let go of Coach K after 10 seasons
- State parks hope to have new ‘glamping’ campsites available for busy Memorial Day weekend
- Take a look at Warner Bros. billion-dollar theme park in Abu Dhabi
- Taco Tuesday coincides with Cinco de Mayo
- Bells will ring from Utah Capitol Building in honor of lives lost from COVID-19
- ‘Golden Girls’ recast with Black cast including Tracee Ellis Ross and Regina King
- Lawmakers promote bill prohibiting online impersonation
- Mrs. Joni Willis – Pleasant Green Elementary