SALT LAKE CITY — Police have announced the arrest of a suspect accused of a hit-and-run crash that resulted in the death of cyclist Tot Nguyen. Investigators say 36-year-old Sotero Valerio Torres faces charges of hitting the 72-year-old victim at an intersection near 400 South 1033 West about 6 p.m. Tuesday.
Police say the car Valerio was driving continued without stopping, and police had been on the lookout for a white car, possibly a Nissan believed involved.
The Salt Lake Police Department tweeted that they were glad to have made an arrest and thankful for the hard work detectives put in bringing in a suspect.
Thanks to the hard work of our CAR team, Sotero Valero 36 yrs old was #booked into #jail for crimes related to the H&R involving victim Tot Nguyen. We are thankful for the hard work the detectives put in to make an arrest in this case.
— SLC Police Dept. (@slcpd) January 24, 2019
A witness says he almost hit Nguyen before Valerio did. Investigators say it is unclear whether or not Nguyen was wearing reflective clothing.
Today’s Top Stories
- Burgess Owens in Washington for orientation for Utah’s 4th district
- Bad breath behind that mask? 10 reasons and remedies for your halitosis
- Valentine’s is Long Since Over: Here are 5 Year Round Ways You Can Continue to Share…
- 47-year-old mother of four graduates top of her class at UVU College of Science
- NWSL players now have the option to remain in the locker room during the National Anthem
- Chad Daybell faces new charges a day after Lori Vallow appeared in court on same counts
- Officers escort a fallen deputy’s wife across the stage at her graduation
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27
- GOP candidate who embraced QAnon conspiracy theory wins Georgia runoff, CNN projects
- Tentative deal reached on anti-gerrymandering initiative