With the beginning of April, we see the flowers start to bloom and the birds start to sing and the gentle hint of spring gets carried on the air. But the start of April should also bring with it a big dose of skepticism as the world’s brands start to churn out hoaxes and pranks. Welcome to April Fools’ Day, 2019.
This year, however, one of the world’s biggest tech giants say they aren’t taking part. Microsoft’s chief of marketing Chris Capossela sent out a note to employees warning them not to participate in the tom-foolery.
“I appreciate that people may have devoted time and resources to these activities, but I believe we have more to lose than gain by attempting to be funny on this one day,” he said in an internal memo, that was obtained and verified by The Verge.
We have yet to see if any other companies will follow Microsoft in halting the April Fools’ hoaxing, but this year here’s a look at some of the April Fools’ Day pranks we could find.
April Fools’ 2019 Roundup
Google is coming through with two big “announcements” today with their Google Tulip and the retro game Snake to its Google Maps app.
Tik Tok: DJ Khaled is now the Chief Motivational Officer of the Social Media video sharing app Tik Tok.
Spotify has turned your Discover Weekly playlist into a bunch of disco covers.
Shutterstock: Online stock photo broker Shutterstock is opening a brick and mortar store.
Glasses USA is teaming up with Swiss Army Knife is making a pair of Survival Glasses.
Lockheed Martin plans to start making a perfume that smells like space.
Mcdonald’s is making a dipping sauce flavored like a milkshake to dip your fries in.
— McDonald’s (@McDonalds) April 1, 2019
Honda is introducing a retro-themed Pastport trim with all sorts of hip new 90’s tech.
Nissin: Cup Noodles maker Nissin is making a pair of headphones for people who can’t get enough noodles.
Hardee’s: Fast food restaurant Hardee’s is looking for a Chief Biscuit Officer.
Timex: Good news for those of you who wish there was more time in the day! Timex is introducing a new watch with a 25th hour.
Today’s Top Stories
- Family announces they’ll say goodbye to Dixie, a dog burned for revenge
- Parents, teachers, students sound off on later school start times
- ‘Anonymous’ hacker group threatens to “expose many crimes” of Minneapolis PD
- New motorcycle law in Utah
- Australian woman arrested for inciting anti-lockdown protests
- “Bonus Bucks” program encourages shopping and dining in Salt Lake City
- SLC School Board Member: vote to hold classes online was partly political
- How to prepare home and family for an earthquake
- The future of Bountiful High School’s mascot discussed last night
- Vail Resorts CEO talks about social distancing for ski season at Park City Mountain