SALT LAKE CITY — With just days between us and what is expected to be one of the biggest movies of the year, the wildly popular battle royal video game Fortnite is announcing another crossover with the Avengers.
— Fortnite (@FortniteGame) April 23, 2019
— Fortnite (@FortniteGame) April 22, 2019
This isn’t the first time that Marvel has teamed up with Epic Games, the maker of Fortnite. Last year before the release of Infinity War Thanos’ Infinity Gauntlet was dropped onto the island where players would then battle it out to control the infinity stones and blast other players back to the lobby.
It’s no secret that the directors of Endgame, Joe and Anthony Russo, are big fans of the free-to-play battle royal game. Epic Games director Donald Mustard told Entertainment Weekly that one day, out of the blue, “I get this call from Joe. And after a bit of geeking out over each other’s work, we start brainstorming these crazy ideas.”
This newest crossover comes at a busy time for Fortnite. Currently, qualifiers are underway in their Fortnite World Cup e-sports tournament where players from all over the globe are competing for their chance at winning a $30 million prize pool.
Qualifiers started about 10 days ago and competitions will last until June 16th and are open to anyone 13 years and older. There will be 10 qualifying tournaments, each with a million dollar prize pool, where individuals or teams battle for points racked up by eliminations and placement.
From each of these competitions, Epic will gather the 100 top solo Fortnite players and the best 50 duo partners who will go on to participate in the world finals in New York where each participant is guaranteed at least $50,000.
Today’s Top Stories
- Tara Francyk-Wells – West Jordan Elementary
- BYU Study: Drinking High-Fat Milk Connected With Biological Aging
- FBI Confidential: Human trafficking may be happening in your local park
- Hurricane-force winds in Utah close schools, knock power out
- Only-child doesn’t need to be lonely child during the pandemic
- Motherhood, family size increasing in U.S.
- Starbucks has officially abandoned straws for sippy cup lids … well, mostly
- To eat, or not to eat breakfast — that is the question
- ‘He changed my life’: Afghan pilot remembers Major Brent Taylor
- How does the Electoral College work?