SALT LAKE CITY — Charges were filed on Tuesday against Derek Orr, 29, with two first-degree felonies of aggravated robbery and child kidnapping.
Orr was the main suspect in a carjacking that happened earlier this month where police say he pulled a woman out of her minivan and drove off with her young daughter still inside.
The carjacking happened around 1:30 pm on May 16th when police say Orr approached the woman driving the minivan stopped at Green Street between 600 and 700 East and pulled her out of the car.
Lt. Jenn Diedrich said the man then fled westbound on 2100 S and that witnesses that saw the carjacking take place followed the man as far as State Street while they called police.
The woman’s daughter was later found wandering outside near Publik Coffee on West Temple when a concerned bystander “noticed a little girl crying and asking for ‘mommy’.”
Shortly after, police were able to identify Orr from the nearby surveillance video from a store Orr was in before the carjacking and were able to arrest him in a Salt Lake home shortly after receiving a tip.
Charging documents have asked that his bail be set at $250,000.
Today’s Top Stories
- Gov. Herbert announces COVID-19 to close schools rest of year
- Salt Lake City Council wants resident input on 2020-2021 fiscal budget
- Orem among the top 25 best cities to Trick or Treat in America
- Salt Lake County, cities at odds over West Bench future
- Unified Police, FBI arrest suspected serial bank robber
- Hill Cumorah Pageant’s final year will come in 2021 instead
- Police say drug ring run by teen had ties to many Utah schools
- Church updates General Handbook, calls for members to “abandon” prejudice
- Pentagon orders review of international student vetting
- Three UHP vehicles hit in early morning storm traffic