GUNNISON, Utah — Police say a Utah man raped a girl he met during an Internet challenge.
It was the “number neighbor challenge,” where you text the cell phone number that’s a number up or down from yours.
Police in Gunnison, in Sanpete County, say 19-year-old Isaac Alonso sent a text to the father of the victim, who was his number neighbor. The man asked his 16-year-old daughter what the challenge was all about. She started texting back to Alonso and found out they had friends in common.
Charging documents say Alonso invited her to go to a convenience store to grab a drink and talk. But instead, he drove her to the hills east of Ephraim and raped her.
Charging documents say the father confronted Alonso on the phone, who then responded that he couldn’t go back to jail and tried to tell the girl to say it was consensual.
He’s now scheduled to be in court for this case on October 2nd.
Today’s Top Stories
- President Trump says he wants background check laws, also reassures NRA
- Macey’s BYU Ultimate Fan Box 2020
- Utah lawmakers push for ERA ratification, reviving political battle
- UDOT setting up for building West Davis County’s new freeway
- ‘The End’ of Fortnite leaves millions staring at a black hole
- VOTE: What is the most popular candy in Utah?
- Boomer, GenX parents supporting Millennial adult kids more in 2020
- Colorado reports first confirmed case of COVID-19 variant in the US