MILLCREEK– A music teacher from Granite School District is under arrest for alleged sexual misconduct with a teenager.
Jeffery Luke Zawalski, 36, was arrested Friday night by Salt Lake police under 10 counts of sexual exploitation of a minor, five counts of unlawful sexual activity with a minor and enticing a minor.
The Evergreen Junior band teacher agreed to meet a 15-year-old female “via email on five separate occasions to meet for unlawful sexual activity,” according to a police affidavit obtained by Deseret News.
Zawalski had at least ten nude photos of the teen, according to the affidavit.
Granite School District administrators released a statement via e-mail to parents about the arrest on Saturday.
The e-mail states:
“Dear Evergreen Parents,
We were recently notified and wanted to alert you regarding some disturbing information from the Salt Lake City Police Department, wherein our band and music teacher, Mr. Zelwalski, was arrested last evening on some very serious charges involving inappropriate contact with a minor. We are still gathering information on this matter but he has been placed on leave in the interim.
Student safety is our primary concern and we take these charges very seriously. We have received no indication from SLCPD that Granite School District students were involved. However, if any families have further information we encourage them to contact the SLCPD immediately. They can be reached at 801-799-3000.
We thank you for your patience and support as we work through this issue.
Zelwalski has no prior criminal history.
This story will be updated
Today’s Top Stories
- Need something last minute? Here’s what is open Christmas Eve and Christmas Day
- Three arrests in connection with Sapphire Drive homicide in Sandy
- Three things you need to do before you can run a marathon
- Peace and conflict: Talking politics and navigating tension over the holidays
- Trump outstripping Obama on pace of executive orders
- All six female Utah state senators walk out to protest invasive abortion ultrasound
- Doctor: Utah’s COVID-19 infection rate is a concern, hospitalizations stabilize
- Layton police arrest two suspects in fatal shooting
- Utah officials watch for COVID-19 variants, say UK strain not dominant yet
- A Las Vegas rescue group has captured ‘Cluck Norris’ and is searching for the…