ST GEORGE, Utah — St. George will become the third city in Utah to have two temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The church announced plans to build the new temple on a 14-acre lot just outside St. George City’s eastern edge northeast of 3000 East and 1580 South.
The Washington County Utah Temple was originally announced during a general conference for the church in October of 2018 by church President Russell M. Nelson.
Final plans are still under development according to a release from the church but they expect project leaders to file preliminary public plans with the city in the coming months.
Renders for the temple have not been made public yet, but the church expects to build a three-story, 88,000 square foot temple.
St George is also home to the very first Latter-day Saint Temple in Utah that was dedicated in 1877 and closed Monday for an extensive renovation that will last until 2022.
Today’s Top Stories
- Ellen Sabo – Rose Creek Elementary
- Tornado forms at Strawberry Reservoir
- Kaysville mayor announce Congressional run to replace Bishop
- Lynda Davis – Morningside Elementary
- Long-time power plant to close in Magna
- Sen. Romney seen marching at DC protests against George Floyd’s death
- Advocates: there are still resources for homeless women, despite full centers
- BYU research looks at what makes freeways safe
- US surgeons successfully perform double lung transplant on Covid-19 patient for first time
- Two missing teens from Taylorsville last seen in SLC