ST GEORGE, Utah — St. George will become the third city in Utah to have two temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The church announced plans to build the new temple on a 14-acre lot just outside St. George City’s eastern edge northeast of 3000 East and 1580 South.
The Washington County Utah Temple was originally announced during a general conference for the church in October of 2018 by church President Russell M. Nelson.
Final plans are still under development according to a release from the church but they expect project leaders to file preliminary public plans with the city in the coming months.
Renders for the temple have not been made public yet, but the church expects to build a three-story, 88,000 square foot temple.
St George is also home to the very first Latter-day Saint Temple in Utah that was dedicated in 1877 and closed Monday for an extensive renovation that will last until 2022.
Today’s Top Stories
- Sandy City officials mourn police chief
- Benjamin Keough, grandson of Elvis Presley, dies at 27
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces first ever African-American General Authority
- Police: Couple arrested for marijuana-themed event
- CNN and ‘Sesame Street’ to host a town hall addressing racism
- All-clear given at Lone Peak High School after possible “wrong school” threat
- Excelsior Academy first-graders moved to online school
- Barry Pewtress – Spectrum Academy High School
- Washington D.C. mayor refutes Lee’s claims about Utah National Guard hotel eviction
- New Gaza rockets disrupt Israel, Islamic Jihad cease-fire