PARK CITY, UTAH — A snowboarder who triggered an avalanche behind Canyons Village in Park City died this afternoon. According to the Utah Avalanche center, this is the first avalanche death of this season.
The Center says the man triggered the avalanche this morning, got caught up and then was carried and killed in the avalanche. The center also says the area is avalanche prone and was the site of a fatality in February of 2012.
Read more about the Avalanche Center’s report here.
Confirmed avalanche accident and burial in the backcountry near Canyons resort. https://t.co/REZSuPaozb
— UtahAvalancheCenter (@UACwasatch) December 15, 2019
The Summit County Sheriff’s Office says the 45-year-old man is from Salt Lake City.
— Sheriff Justin (@SummitCountySO) December 15, 2019
Avalanche danger remains rated as considerable today.
Today’s Top Stories
- Storm clean up efforts from wind damage is bringing communities together
- Evacuations force California man to cancel SLC trip
- Utah agriculture and food: cook any seeds you receive from China
- Tulsi Gabbard files lawsuit against Hillary Clinton for defamation
- Boris Johnson promises UK will provide Hong Kongers path to citizenship after national…
- NFL wades back into controversy with new Super Bowl police shooting ad
- Knolls Fire Update: Evacuation order lifted but still possible, only 25% contained
- Gearing up for the Xbox Series X, Microsoft has stopped making the Xbox One X
- Tim Cook and other Apple executives will testify against Epic in Fortnite trial
- Countdown to Super Tuesday: Candidates hope Utah voters will energize their campaigns