MAGNA, Utah — One man is dead after a fire broke out early Monday morning in Magna, according to officials.
Unified Police say they received a call just after 4 am about a fire burning near 3300 S and Broadway. Unified Fire was able to quickly extinguish the blaze.
The victim has not been identified but officials say that he was an elderly man restricted to a wheel chair who was overcome by smoke inhalation. Two other residents in the house were able to escape with only minor injuries.
Unified Fire says there were no working smoke detectors in the home.
Battalion Chief Brian Anderton says the fire was relatively contained.
“At this time, it appears the fire started in the basement of the home,” he explains.
UFA officials will be investigating the fire throughout the afternoon in order to help determine the cause.
Today’s Top Stories
- Excelsior Academy first-graders moved to online school
- Salt Lake County restaurants ready to reopen indoor dining
- Feds warn UFO enthusiasts against storming Area 51: The military ‘stands ready’
- Police say West Valley City man planned mass shooting during SLC protest
- Sports stars J.J. Watt and Kealia Ohai were married Saturday
- Teacher stands by as Vernal Middle School student is viciously assaulted
- AP changes writing style to capitalize ”b” in Black
- Forest Service letting the East Fork Fire burn
- Where are fires burning across the western US? An interactive map
- Actress sues actor Tom Sizemore, claiming sex abuse on set