UPDATE: West Valley City Spokesperson Roxanne Vainuku says the suspect was found deceased in a nearby home.
WEST VALLEY CITY — A man is dead and a woman has been shot multiple times in a second West Valley shooting according to police.
The killing happened in the area of 3600 South and 6100 West.
West Valley City Police spokeswoman Roxanne Vainuku told reporters that a woman called them around 6:30 saying her ex-husband had shown up and shot her and killed her boyfriend.
“When our officers arrived here they did find an adult male on the front lawn of the property, he is deceased. The woman victim, in this case, has multiple gunshots and was taken to the hospital in serious condition,” Vainuku says.
— John Wojcik (@JWojcikKSL) February 7, 2020
On the run
Vainuku told reporters the male suspect fled the scene and police don’t know his location, but believe he has left the immediate area.
No description of the suspect is being released at this time.
Two children, ages 5 and 10, were also in the home at the time of the shooting. Cops say they were unharmed and have been picked-up by family members. According to Vainuku, they appear to be the children of the female victim and the suspect.
“We’re confident that he has left the area at this point,” she says. “Our investigators are working right now to track him down.”
This is the second murder in West Valley City in the past 48 hours. On Wednesday evening, officers responded to a report of a male gunshot victim near 6400 S. Wakefield Way. 20-year-old Manuel Andres Martinez was pronounced dead at the scene.
Meanwhile, Friday’s killing happened only about seven miles away from a different shooting overnight in Taylorsville.
In that incident, a man suffered critical injuries after police say he was shot through the wall of an apartment.
Cops have no reason to suspect the two incidents are connected, considering the West Valley shooting is a domestic shooting.
Today’s Top Stories
- 6.4-magnitude quake rattles Nevada
- Friends mourn Utah veterinarian shot in New Mexico
- Is the kissing bug a threat in Utah?
- Toxic algal bloom spotted on Utah Lake, a first for 2019
- UPDATE: Lori Vallow appears in court on new charges in relation to the death of missing children
- Susan Powell created a “paper trail” of evidence before her disappearance,…
- UTA offering free fare to COVID-19 vaccination appointments
- Loving Little Cottonwood Canyon to death: is a gondola the answer?
- UDOT: Expect delays I-15 NB in Salt Lake City on Sunday
- Man arrested in connection with body found in Ogden