SALT LAKE CITY — The artist responsible for the iconic album artwork for The Beatles’ Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band has been commissioned by Zions Bank to create a mural to celebrate the accomplishments of Utah women in downtown Salt Lake City.
In a release Wednesday, Zions Bank said that Jann Haworth “is working with women and men across the state to make more than 200 stencil portraits of impactful Utah women past and present.”
The bank says that the portraits will be collaged and printed on 50-foot-tall weatherproof banners to be displayed on the side of Zions Bank’s Dinwoody Building in Salt Lake City.
Haworth’s artwork may already be familiar to Utahns, though they may not know it. Her “SLC Pepper” mural at 250 S. 400 W. in Salt Lake City evokes the iconic Sgt. Pepper’s artwork. She grew up in California, but lives and works now in Utah.
The mural is expected to be completed in August to commemorate the 100 years since the ratification of the 19th amendment and 150 years since Utahn Seraph Young became the first woman in the modern nation to cast a ballot.
Today’s Top Stories
- Stacey Marshall – Jordan Ridge Elementary
- What are you Eating for the Big Game? 5 Quick and Easy Recipes for Sunday Game Food that…
- Travels with President Nelson: Touching the hearts of Church members around the world
- Plan to retrieve Titanic radio spurs debate on human remains
- Dave & Dujanovic: Was police use of force in Minneapolis akin to murder?
- Courage Reins
- These 9 hand sanitizers may contain a potentially fatal ingredient, FDA warns
- Parents of Susan Powell endure day of graphic court testimony
- How bad does it hurt to be stung by a giant murder hornet?
- Write-in candidate requests a list mailed to voters, naming write-in candidates