LAYTON, Utah — Police say that a 50-year-old woman and a 30-year-old man have died after they were involved in a head-on collision on Highway 89 in Layton.
The accident happened late Tuesday night just after 11 pm around Oak Hills Dr. and Pinewood Lane near the Layton-Kaysville border.
Police say that the collision happened when a Mazda sedan driven by the 30-year-old man southbound traveled into the northbound lanes for unknown reasons and struck a Kia SUV driven by the 50-year-old woman.
Officers said the impact was so powerful that one of the vehicles lost its engine, which ejected and caught fire.
The victims have not bee identified yet and police that they are still investigating but say that the weather did not appear to be a factor.
This story will be updated.
Today’s Top Stories
- UVU students win records fight over campus police reports
- Tara Francyk-Wells – West Jordan Elementary
- BYU Study: Drinking High-Fat Milk Connected With Biological Aging
- University of Utah honors veterans with ceremony
- Woman killed by ex-husband in apparent murder-suicide in Cache County
- 2 San Juan County residents being monitored for coronavirus
- How bad does it hurt to be stung by a giant murder hornet?
- Child poverty in Utah is down from last year
- How does the Electoral College work?
- The Best Family RV Vacations in Utah: 3 Fun RV Trip Planning Ideas for Your Next Summer Adventure