(CNN) — One runner didn’t let the French government’s order to remain indoors prevent him from training for a marathon amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Last week, Elisha Nochomovitz, a 32-year-old furloughed restaurant worker, ran the length of a marathon (26.2 miles) — on his 23-foot long balcony.
And he did it in six hours and 48 minutes, which is nearly double his best marathon finish time.
“My only pleasure is running, no matter what the time,” Nochomovitz, who lives in the French city of Balma near Toulouse, told CNN.
He dedicated his run to medical staff working through this pandemic, who he feels are “doing an extraordinary job.”
Although Nochomovitz has run 36 marathons, he said his balcony marathon was the most challenging.
Due to the short length of the balcony, Nochomovitz was unable to gain any momentum or speed as he had to constantly turn back and forth. He said he ran about 3,000 laps.
Luckily, Nochomovitz said his girlfriend was there to support him, feeding him M&M’s and Coca Cola to help him refuel as he ran.
Though his balcony is nothing like the streets of Barcelona, where he was supposed to run the marathon on March 15 before it got canceled, Nochomovitz said the experience was worthwhile. Some people, he said, even reached out to say they were inspired by him.
French Prime Minister Édouard Philippe announced on March 14 that the country would be closing all places that are not essential to French living, which includes restaurants, cafes and clubs.
France banned all gatherings across the country last week, and the country closed its borders on March 17 in order to contain the coronavirus outbreak.
™ & © 2020 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Salt Lake City Moving To New Neighborhood Clean Up Program
- Alaska moose poacher fined $100,000, sentenced to jail
- BYU and UVU issue statement, advise two-week deadline to improve numbers
- Heart of Utah: Storytelling festival helps young performers find their voices
- Bountiful police release video of pawn shop shooting
- Hill AFB airman to face charges related to burned police car
- Son of infamous polygamist leader, Warren Jeffs, is dead
- Fire crews rescue 4 people and 18 animals from basement fire
- Legal expert says insanity defense not likely for Grantsville teen
- What you can do right now to stop robocalls