SALT LAKE CITY — State health officials said 643 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Utah represents a new one-day record for coronavirus in the state.
According to the Utah Department of Health, the state’s seen 17,068 lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19 since the outbreak began. No new deaths were reported Saturday, leaving the total number of Utah residents who have died as a result of coronavirus at 155.
“These numbers are sobering,” said state epidemiologist Dr. Angela Dunn in a statement about the one-day record for new COVID-19 cases in Utah. “For three straight weeks now, our cases have been increasing at a rate that isn’t sustainable. We are at risk for overwhelming our hospital capacity, which could result in Utahns not getting the medical care they need.”
The public health response to this pandemic has not eased up, and we are asking individuals not to ease their own response as well. We continue to contact trace, test, evaluate data, and provide policy-makers with evidence-based recommendations. As they engage more with the economy, Utah residents must do their part by limiting their number of close contacts through good physical distancing, wearing a mask when physical distancing is not possible, staying home if you’re sick, and washing your hands regularly.
How To Prevent the Spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus
COVID-19 coronavirus spreads person to person, similar to the common cold and the flu. So, to prevent it from spreading:
- Wash hands frequently and thoroughly, with soap and water, for at least 20 seconds.
- Don’t touch your face.
- Keep children and those with compromised immune systems away from someone who is coughing or sneezing (in this instance, at least six feet)
- If there is an outbreak near you, practice social distancing (stay at home, instead of going to the movies, sports events, or other activities.)
- Get a flu shot.
Utah Coronavirus Information Line – 1-800-456-7707
Today’s Top Stories
- Sneakers designed in honor of Obama to go on sale for $25,000
- Winter solstice 2019: A short day that’s long on ancient traditions
- No, police aren’t responsible for enforcing the face mask mandate
- Utah athlete, Lauren McCluskey, laid to rest
- Congo park ranger tells of taking viral selfie with gorillas
- Utah man involved in US Capitol riot to face more charges
- Lauren McCluskey solved her own stalking case. Here’s how.
- You Won’t Believe the Fun You Can Have at Utah Olympic Venues: 3 Incredible Winter…
- Utah man gets up to life in prison in ex-girlfriend’s death
- UPDATED: 11-year-old boy dead after accidental discharge of a firearm in Kamas Valley