SOUTH SALT LAKE – 10-year-old Zahid Macias was sitting at home with his siblings on Friday afternoon when a speeding pickup truck crashed into his South Salt Lake home, pinning him underneath.
It’s unclear what caused Friday’s accident near 300 East and 3300 South, though police suspect the driver of the pickup may have been impaired.
Family friend Liza Castro said that Zahid was trapped under the truck for 20 minutes. “We thought he wasn’t going to make it because the truck was just all the way inside,” she told KSLTV.
First responders were able to get Zahid out, but his road to recovery is far from over.
Castro said Zahid suffered a fracture on the side of his face, a brain hematoma and a broken femur.
He’s currently at Primary Children’s Hospital where his mom said he’ll have to stay for at least the next 3-4 weeks.
“He was awake this morning, and he sent a voice memo saying the doctors were going to fix him,” said Castro.
Family friends have started a Go Fund Me page to pay for what they estimate is $150,000 in medical expenses.
This will include head and leg surgery, as well as possibly brain surgery and physical therapy.
Zahid’s mother is raising him and his two other siblings, who were not hurt in Friday’s accident, on her own.
The Go Fund Me has been shared among several community groups in South Salt Lake.
People who want to donate to Zahid’s Go Fund Me page can do so here
Today’s Top Stories
- Chad Daybell in court, prosecution offers new details
- Investigators make major drug busts on I-80 in Utah
- Home prices increase in Salt Lake City during the pandemic
- BYU nanofiber technology making more effective face masks
- Honoring the Class of 2020
- Chip Hayes – South Summit Middle School
- The original Gerber Baby just turned 93
- Why your New Year’s resolution might be doing more harm than good
- Salt Lake County reopening some rec centers on Monday
- Want to buy a dinosaur? One of the world’s biggest T. rex skeletons is up for sale