SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Police responded Thursday night to an officer-involved shooting involving the US Marshals Service near 900 South between Main Street and West Temple.
West Valley City police confirmed the involvement of US Marshals. Officers from West Valley and Salt Lake City are on the scene on Fayette Ave., which is between Main Street and West Temple near 900 South in Salt Lake City.
Investigators say it started as members of the U.S. Marshal’s Violent Fugitive Apprehension Team, or VFAST, tracked down a man wanted for a parole violation to an area near 1000 South Main Street. Officers are giving very little information about the suspect other than he’s a white male.
US Marshal’s Chief Deputy Brandon Holt says, “Officers confronted him and he ran, on foot. He produced a firearm and continued to run. Commands were given. ‘Stop! Police!’ He continued to flee.”
Several different police agencies are included in VFAST, but Holt says they’re still investigating which agency fired on the suspect.
“A K9 Unit was deployed, he brandished his firearm, was engaged by officers and was fatally wounded,” he says.
The US Marshal’s Office gave an update on the OICI on Main Street in SLC. They say a man wanted for parole violation brandished a gun and was shot. pic.twitter.com/3TUZV9c5BD
— Paul Nelson (@KSLPaul) August 28, 2020
Holt says the OICI team will take over the investigation into the shooting, and he believes Unified Police will take the lead. Salt Lake City Police were not involved in the search for the fugitive or the shooting, but arrived later to offer security.
Holt says, “There is no other fugitive outstanding, at this point. No officers were injured and no other civilians were injured.”
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah drivers licenses one step closer to going digital
- Pandemic pause ends in Susan Powell parents lawsuit trial
- All Utah 24 Hour Fitness locations to close, customers transferred to VASA
- Santa, reindeer granted permit to enter US on Christmas Eve
- 4 tips for getting a COVID-19 vaccine appointment booked sooner in Utah
- Silver Island: a desert escape well worth a visit
- Special delivery: Over 500,000 protective face masks transported to Salt Lake International Airport
- Video of accusations at a fast and testimony meeting sparks response
- What it was like hunting memes outside Area 51
- Police make sixth arrest in the kidnapping and murder of Kearns woman