SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — With only a small group of people as witnesses, a groundbreaking was held today for the Orem temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Those in attendance were limited because of the COVID-19 restrictions for public gatherings in Orem.
Members of the Utah Area Presidency gave speeches and participated in the actual breaking of the ground, as well as Utah Gov. Gary Herbert and his wife Jeanette.
Gov. Herbert has lived in Orem since he was just six years old.
“We are grateful for the legacy of faith that exists among the Saints in this part of the Lord’s vineyard,” said Elder Craig C. Christensen, Utah Area President, who was at the event.
“The Orem Utah Temple will become an added refuge of strength in an increasingly uncertain world — a holy place where we learn and live more fully the great plan of happiness made possible by our Savior, Jesus Christ,” Christensen said.
The Orem temple will be located west of I-15 and south of University Parkway on a 16-acre site at approximately 1471 South Geneva Road.
It will be within close proximity of the Provo Utah Temple and Provo City Center Temple, as well as the campuses of Brigham Young University and Utah Valley University.
“Having other temples in close proximity does not diminish the eternal importance and significance of this sacred building,” said Elder William K. Jackson, a general authority seventy.
“Human nature has taught us that proximity and ease can lead to complacency,” Elder Jackson said. “That is something to be challenged.”
Plans for the Orem temple construction include a three-story temple of about 70,000 square feet. A center spire is included. And a 20,000-square-foot meeting house is scheduled to be constructed on the temple site as well.
The Orem Utah Temple is one of two Utah temples announced in October 2019 by Church President Russell M. Nelson.
The primary purpose of temples is for members of the church to participate in ceremonies, such as marriage.
Today’s Top Stories
- 2 men charged in ’02 killing of Run-DMC star Jam Master Jay
- Grandson arrested on suspicion of murder in SLC house fire
- Should we lower the voting age to 16? Nancy Pelosi says: “Yes.”
- Fraud Alerts! 3 Ways Bad Guys are Trying to Get Access to Your Information and How You Can…
- Golden Spoke Event
- Coronavirus enters Salt Lake County jails
- SLCO D.A. creates conviction review advisory board
- Suspect in shooting no stranger to protests, violence
- Champion bodybuilder turns himself in on Utah rape charges
- Taylor Swift thanks Utah nurse on her birthday for fighting COVID-19