ELKO, Nev. — A teenage employee is dead after a shooting Sunday night at a McDonald’s in Elko, Nev. — and a 24-year-old man is in custody accused of killing her.
Police identified the victim as Kylee Leniz, 16, of Elko.
The Elko Police Department says an unknown man walked up to the drive-thru and fired a weapon through the window. Police say that gunfire hit Leniz. Crews took Leniz to Northeastern Nevada Regional Hospital, where officials pronounced her dead.
Police say the man then took off on foot toward Idaho Street, which parallels I-80, in Elko. They provided KSL NewsRadio with this photo of their person of interest in the shooting.
Police identified him as Justin Michael Mullis, age 24, of Winnemucca, Nevada.
Late Monday afternoon, Elko police say an acquaintance drove Mullis to their police station, where detectives interviewed him. The department says he faces one charge of “open murder.”
The McDonald’s employee killed in the shooting was a student at Elko High School; the school provided extra staff Monday for students or family members who may need support.
Today’s Top Stories
- Susan Powell can’t be in Nutty Putty Cave, investigators say
- Wasatch Adaptive Sports
- Chris Evans sending ‘Captain America’ shield to little boy who saved sister from…
- A dancing cockatoo named Snowball learned 14 moves all by himself
- Investigators make major drug busts on I-80 in Utah
- Rare Nike ‘Moon Shoe’ up for auction at Sotheby’s could fetch $160,000
- Legal expert says insanity defense not likely for Grantsville teen
- Second Amendment rally at state capitol to push back against new gun laws
- Utah lawmakers approve bill aimed at regulating ‘troubled teen’ centers
- Fire-ravaged forests get help from pine cone collectors