(CNN) — Twitter said Wednesday it has locked President Donald Trump’s account for 12 hours, and warned for the first time that it may suspend him permanently.
The temporary lock reflects Trump’s violation of the Twitter rules, the company said.
“We have required the removal of three @realDonaldTrump Tweets that were posted earlier today for repeated and severe violations of our Civic Integrity Policy,” Twitter said. “This means that the account of @realDonaldTrump will be locked for 12 hours following the removal of these Tweets. If the Tweets are not removed, the account will remain locked.”
Twitter added that “future violations… will result in permanent suspension of the @realDonaldTrump account.”
The announcement marks a major escalation by Twitter against Trump’s account and responds to calls by civil rights groups for Trump to be banned from the platform.
Today’s Top Stories
- ‘Diesel Brothers’ ordered to pay $850k for violating Clean Air Act
- UPDATE: Family confirms remains found at Daybell home are missing children
- Ford recalls 2 million vehicles because the doors could open while driving
- Mail-in mistakes: how to make sure your ballot and vote count
- Meat monopoly: Utah AG concerned about possible meat price-fixing
- Mary Kaye Huntsman talks: politics, international pressure and Russia
- New study: excessive screen time can stunt child development
- Utah missionary killed in Georgia bike accident
- Fireworks are legal through July 5th in Utah, but not everywhere
- Judge rules Chad Daybell should face trial in case of missing kids