MIDVALE, Utah — Residents in a Midvale neighborhood hope a new “Stealth Stat Box” can make their streets a little safer by helping spot speeders.
Why is it called “stealth?” It likely gets its name because most drivers wouldn’t even notice it’s installed on a pole they drive by.
Neighbors: Stealth Stat Box is needed
Neighbors are concerned about the speeds of cars as they drive by.
“It’s just the speed factor,” said Jolene Day. “It’s the speed. People zoom by here all the time.” Day told KSL-TV’s Alex Cabrero.
Jolene and her husband Zac Day love their neighborhood, but they are concerned about the on-going speeding problem. They wish others would consider this is a street people live on and children play here as well.
“I’ve seen people lose their radiator because they’re cruising through this too fast and they hit those two dips right there,” said Zac Day.
The posted speed limit is 25 miles an hour.
Parents took action
Parents went to the city with concerns about the speeds, kids playing, and the general safety for residents.
That’s where the “Stealth Stat Box” comes in. The Unified Police Department installed one on Carlson Avenue to gather information about the speeds and traffic patterns of drivers.
Unified Police Response
“It’s counting cars and it’s recording speed and the time of day,” said UPD Sgt. Melody Cutler.
The goal is to record the speeds and numbers of cars to know when to assign officers to the area. This box is designed to save valuable patrol time by letting the box gather the data.
“There are no license plates being collected … It’s just collecting statistics,” Cutler said.
This is new and never used before technology. Residents are hoping this works to make their neighborhood a safer place.
“Something needs to be done,” said Jolene Day. “We don’t want anybody to get hurt because someone is speeding through here.”
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Some temples are entering Phase 3 of reopening; here’s what that looks like
- Purge The Spurge: Utah County Offers To Exchange Invasive Poisonous Plant For Native Plant…
- A Las Vegas rescue group has captured ‘Cluck Norris’ and is searching for the…
- Despite some progress, Utah still lags when it comes to women in politics
- Layton police arrest two suspects in fatal shooting
- Lost athletic scholarship opportunities for some high school seniors
- University of Utah responds to Dateline report on McCluskey killing
- UPDATE: Search crews find missing 17-year-old in Millcreek Canyon
- Doctor: Utah’s COVID-19 infection rate is a concern, hospitalizations stabilize
- Utah Gives Back Event Photos